Saturday, October 27, 2012

Flying Into the Eye of the Storm

I'm headed to DC in the early morning tomorrow. Hurricane Sandy is also headed straight for DC, so it is very appropriate to say that I am literally heading into the eye of the storm. Why am I going to DC? I have been in the process of getting certified to teach yoga, and in order to complete my registration, I have to attend a week long retreat in Virginia. If I make it to the actual destination of the retreat, I will be fine because it is inland and south of the hurricane, it is the actual act of flying into DC that is the major concern. Do I want to go at this point? Not really. Am I scared to go, scared of getting stranded in some random state for days, getting stuck in the middle of the hurricane with no food or power for days? Absolutely. So why am I going? First, I really believe in this yoga program and all that it entails. Second, I want to complete my certification after all the studying and preparation I have done.

I used to think that yoga was all about stretching, but there is so much more to it. I truly mean this when I say that ALL people can benefit from yoga. Yes, it does help with flexibility and agility, but it also helps you to recover faster from sore muscles and fatigue, it reduces stress, helps to lower high blood pressure, it helps you repair your body from injuries, and more.

The kind of yoga I am getting trained in is called Holy Yoga. It is considered a form of hatha yoga. The  difference between Holy Yoga and "regular yoga" is that in Holy Yoga, we meditate on God, and on his scripture. What better way to start your morning, or end your stressful work day than with Holy Yoga? If you have more questions about Holy Yoga, feel free to email me at abby.shroka@gmail.com I would love to talk with anyone about Holy Yoga in more depth.

When I get back from my retreat next week, I will write a blog all about the retreat, all of the things that I learned, and all about my crazy adventure with hurricane Sandy.  I will also be tweeting during my week at the retreat (as long as there is power so I can charge my phone). So, follow my on twitter, @Abby_Shroka to get a glimpse of all the knowledge I'll be learning next week.

1 comment:

  1. Oh my gosh! Holy yoga sounds awesome!! I am planning on starting my teacher training for yoga next year, so I'm really interested in learning this Holy yoga. Is there a website for it? Would love for you to write me: bethanyjolee at yahoo dot com.
    Hopefully you are safe and warm and the flight was uneventful. :-)

    ReplyDelete