Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Sautéed Harvest Veggies

Sautéed Harvest Veggies

I had to end my recipe week with a vegetable recipe, because veggies are almost always lacking at Thanksgiving. Let me warn you in advance, this recipe has brussels sprouts in it. I have to admit that I LOVE brussels sprouts. When I was younger, I would always ask my mom for brussels sprouts for dinner, but the only time I got them was on my birthday because everyone else in the family couldn't stand them. However, this recipe is great, because it really helps to tone down the flavor of the brussels sprouts. It's also a unique recipe that will get a lot of attention at your table. I promise this is a good one, so please give it a try!!

Ingredients:
  • 2 1/2 pounds Brussels sprouts, trimmed
  • 4 slices bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
  • 1 large onion, diced
  • Thyme and Savory (amount varies depending on preference) 
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • Pinch of pepper
  • 2 teaspoons lemon juice

Directions:
  1. Bring a large pot of water to a boil. If sprouts are very small, cut in half; otherwise cut into quarters. Cook the sprouts until barely tender, 3 to 5 minutes. Drain.
  2. Meanwhile, cook bacon in a large heavy skillet over medium heat, stirring, until brown but not crisp, 3 to 6 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon to drain on a paper towel. Pour out all of the bacon fat from the pan.
  3. Add oil to the pan and heat over medium heat. Add onion and cook, stirring often, until soft but not browned, reducing the heat if necessary, about 4 minutes. Stir in thyme (or savory), salt and pepper. Increase heat to medium-high, add the Brussels sprouts, and cook, tossing or stirring occasionally, until tender and warmed through, about 3 minutes. Add the bacon and lemon juice, and toss.

Let me know what you and your family think of this dish! I can't wait to hear back from those of you who tried it. Tweet me your thoughts @Abby_Shroka. If you're still wanting more side dish recipes,  there are many more healthy recipes on my website www.abbyshroka.com. I hope you all have a wonderful Thanksgiving!

Wishing you all health, hope, and happiness this Thanksgiving
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment