Monday, May 27, 2013

May's "Oil of the Month" is ... Thyme



Thyme has been a life-saving oil for me. Before I started using Thyme for my sciatic pain, I was getting at least two flare ups per week. After three months of using Thyme, I now get only one flare up every 3-4 weeks.

I have suffered from sciatic pain for the past five years. It all started with an injury I had back in college.  It is constant pain. CONSTANT. Some days it is manageable, other days it is literally crippling. There is a whole laundry list of things that I cannot do because the pain will flare up. I have tried so many things, and nothing helps, except for taking pain pills, which obviously I'm not a fan of.

In February, I decided to try some essential oil therapy, because honestly, I figured I had nothing to lose. After doing some research, I decided to start with Thyme. The first time I used it, I was shocked! It was as effective as pain medicine!!

Thyme is known for being an antioxidant, anti inflammatory, antibacterial, antifungal, and antimicrobial. It is a tonic for nerves and the stomach. It helps to energize the immune system, muscles, and bones in times of stress and physical weakness. It also has been known to relieve depression. Thyme has been known to improve numerous medical conditions, including sciatica.

The thing with sciatica is that once it flares up, there is NOTHING you can do to get rid of the pain. The first time I used Thyme, I was in the middle of a bad flare up, and in considerable pain. Within a couple of minutes after applying the oil, the pain had reduced down to mild, and it stayed that way for the rest of the day! Other remedies I had tried would relieve pain for a couple minutes, but then the pain would come right back. Not with Thyme. It actually takes the pain away and keeps it away.

To apply Thyme, I place a drop on my spine, close to where my back pain is. I place it on my spine, instead of where I feel back pain because sciatica pain originates at the spine. I also place a drop on my hip right where there is pain. I usually rub in the drop on my hip. I also use Peppermint oil and Helichrysum oil, along with Thyme, when my pain is especially severe. (a drop of each on my spine, and a drop of each on my hip). These oils work great together to relieve pain, but usually Thyme works just fine on its own.

Since I have been using Thyme, my sciatic pain has gotten considerably better. Instead of having flare ups 1-2 times per week, I'm now getting a flare up once every 3-4 weeks. I have also noticed a difference in my yoga practice.










Before I started using Thyme, there were some poses that I couldn't do, such as pigeon pose, shown above. In only three short months, I was able to, not only do pigeon pose, but do sleeping pigeon, which is a more advanced version.

If you are interested in trying Thyme Oil for yourself, you can order it here:  www.mydoterra.com/abbyshroka. Click on "shop for products" on the top right hand corner. After entering the country of shipping, search through "single oils" to find Thyme.

If you have any questions about Thyme Oil, or other Essential Oils, please don't hesitate to contact me!

Wishing you all Health, Hope, & Happiness
Abby

No comments:

Post a Comment