Thursday, December 4, 2014

Finding Rest During the Christmas Season

If you had to pick one time in a year that you are the most stressed, many of you would say right now, during the Christmas season. The major reason why, is because of the constant go, go, go and your to-do list that is a mile long. This week's prayer and devotion is focused on resting.

"…he sat down under it and prayed that he might die. I have had enough Lord, he said. Take my life, I am no better than my ancestors." 
1 Kings 19:4b

In this passage, Elijah has been sentenced to death by the King of Israel. The Israelites have rejected God's covenant, broken down the altars to the Lord, and put all the other prophets to death. Elijah is terrified for his people and his life, and he is ready to give up. He has totally reached his breaking point, even asking God to take his life. Instead, God allows him to fall asleep for an extended period of time, waking him only to eat and drink. Why? Because God knew that Elijah needed rest. He needed rest for his mind, his body, and his emotions. He needed rest because the coming task that God had for him was huge.

"I will refresh tired bodies. I will restore tired souls."
Jeremiah 31:25

Unlike Elijah, most of us have a choice of whether or not to engage in rest. It is especially tempting right now to keep going and wait to rest until after Christmas is over. But I strongly encourage you to rest this year! Otherwise, the odds of you reaching you breaking point a few days before Christmas is pretty high. Plus, God promises that resting is not a waist of time! He promises to refresh us.

In Elijah's case, God did restore him body and soul. Once he was rested, he was able to travel for 40 days and nights without food or water, overthrow the evil King of Israel, anoint a new King, and find another prophet to teach and train up to someday replace him. The strength he received by resting was powerful and effective, and well worth the time it took!

Weekly Prayer:
Father God, help me make resting a priority this Christmas season, so that I can be at my best for my family come Christmas day. Let my resting be a witness to those around me. Equip me to do far more through resting in you, than I ever could on my own. IJN Amen.

No comments:

Post a Comment