Friday, August 31, 2012

The Secret to Getting Fruit on a Budget

The secret to getting fruits on a budget; smoothies! I know fruits and veggies can be expensive and often break the budget. Especially if you try to buy organic. One secret that I share with all of my clients is to buy fruit in bulk. People always think I'm joking when I say this because fruit is notorious for going bad quickly. The exception: freezing it.

When fruit is in season, it is cheaper because there is an abundance of it. Usually your grocery store will have deals during this time. My grocery store always has a 2 for the price of 1 deal whenever they have an over abundance of fruits. Whenever I see these sales I jump on it and really take advantage. Whether it's berries, apples, oranges, grapefruits, melons, or pineapple. All of these make great smoothies later on. 

When I get home from the grocery, I cut up the extra fruit, separate it, throw it into containers, and put them in the freezer. Later, I can take out a container, dump the contents directly into the blender, add some water, OJ, or yogurt (depending on your preference) and there you go! I love making smoothies at night, and saving them for breakfast that next morning. This is a great option when you know you have a busy morning the next day, so that you don't end up skipping breakfast all together.

Smoothies are great for a couple of reasons: 
1. When you freeze fresh fruit, you keep all the vitamins and nutrients frozen in the fruit. This means that the fruit is still jammed packed with great benefits months later when you have it in your smoothie. 
2. Frozen fruit that is packaged at the store, is often just as expensive, or more expensive than fresh fruit. It is so much cheaper to buy fruit in bulk and store it yourself.
3. Smoothies are a great way to mix up your normal routine. If apples aren't in season, but you're really craving them, pull some out of your freezer and make a smoothie!

For more information on buying food on a budget, or smoothie recipes visit my website www.abbyshroka.com or contact me directly at abby.shroka@gmail.com Please contact me with recipes of your own too! I love to hear how people are finding new ways to eat healthy!

No comments:

Post a Comment